Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Blog 18: Third Answer

Content:
What is the most effective way to help a suicidal teen overcome suicidal thoughts?
-The most effective way to help a suicidal teen overcome suicidal thoughts is by helping them find at least one support system.

  • Talking to someone lets the teen know they're not alone.
    • My mentees have let me know having me there lets them know that they're not alone.
  • All a suicidal teen needs is at least one strong support system.
    • My mentor told me that there was one person who was constantly calling to check up on her and that was one of the only reasons she was able to overcome suicide.
  • In a five and a half year period 11,152 calls were made to a suicide hotline.
    • Many of the callers were looking for a support system, someone to talk to. 
My personal experience in mentorship, my mentor, an article called "Suicide: A Review of Calls to an Adolescent Peer Listening Phone Service"

"A lot of you cared, just not enough." Jay Asher . We just need to help the teens focus on that one strong support system.




No comments:

Post a Comment